The Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church
Job Description - Pastor
I. Job Title: Pastor
II. Primary Function:
- To serve as Pastor to the congregation of the Norwegian Lutheran Memorial Church.
III. Summary of Duties
- Preach and teach the Word of God and administer the sacraments according to the practice of the Lutheran church.
- Plan and conduct worship services, in both English and Norwegian, and provide a written version of the sermon in each language.
- Provide pastoral care to members of the parish according to their needs, visit them as necessary, and uphold them in prayer.
- Supervise the church staff on a daily basis. The Congregation Council is responsible for the appointment and supervision of the salaried staff. The pastor is accountable to the church council.
- Initiate, schedule and manage monthly staff meetings.
- Give pastoral guidance as appropriate for the meetings, activities, and organizations of the congregation.
- Meet monthly with the Executive Committee as a member and contributor to this leadership organization.
- Meet monthly with the Congregational Council as a member and contributor. Submit a monthly written report with a summary of daily activities; for example: visits, meetings, classes taught, ministerial functions. Share key highlights and challenges.
- Attend all congregation meetings. Submit a yearly Pastor’s report for the Annual Congregational Report.
- Be responsible for the bulletin and all parochial statistics and report them promptly and fully, as requested by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Be responsible for the editorial direction, content, appearance, and timely distribution of the church’s newsletter. Write a monthly Pastor’s column.
- Serve as an advisor and voting member on the Leiv Eriksson International Festival committee.
- Serve as an advisor and voting member on the Tuesday Open House program committee.
- Encourage the congregation to support the total ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Encourage Stewardship in members and associate members, including the giving of time, talents, energy, and money.
- Give special attention to Missions of the church.
- Encourage members to support the Mission of the Month and advise the Missions Committee when needed.
IV. Physical environment:
- The workplace consists mainly of the church building, although in a broader sense, the workplace is wherever duty takes the Pastor.
V. Conditions of employment
- This is a full-time position.
- The Pastor shall schedule approximately eight hours per week as regular office hours to be present in the office and accessible to congregation members. These office hours shall be published.
- The President and Chair of the Board of Trustees will provide the pastor with an annual review based on this job description and assist the pastor in setting goals.
- The Pastoral Support Committee will meet with the pastor on a regular basis.
VI. Requirements for employment
- Approval by the ELCA.
- Experience as a Pastor.
- Fluency in both English and Norwegian.
(Revised December 8 2020)